Nearly all communities, regardless of where they live, are likely to face some type of severe winter weather at some point during the year. Winter storms can range from
One of the biggest concerns is the winter weather’s ability to knock out heat, power and communications services, sometimes for days at a time. Heavy snowfall and extreme cold can immobilize a wide area.
In a winter weather
• Check on older neighbours or relatives to make sure they’re safe and well. Make sure they’re warm enough, especially at night, and have stocks of food and medicines so they don’t need to go out during very cold weather. If you are worried about a relative or neighbour, contact Wrapped Up Northants on 0845 677 2220.
• Keep up to date with road and weather conditions and severe weather alerts.
• Make sure that your community is ready for cold weather by informing them of how to stay safe this winter. www.nhs.uk has useful information on how to KEEP WARM AND KEEP WELL during cold spells.
• Clear your car of any ice or snow, make sure your car is winter ready and you have a car emergency kit.
• Wear suitable clothes and footwear.
• Encourage people to get the flu jab.
The Snow Code
• There is no law stopping you from clearing snow and ice from paths pavements or public spaces outside your home, shop or office.
• Don’t be put off clearing snow & ice because you’re afraid someone will get injured. Regardless of what you do, pedestrians & drivers have a responsibility to be careful themselves.
• Doing your part may help the local community and will be very helpful to the more vulnerable members of society.
• Go to the following NCC website for more: www.northamptonshire.gov.uk/ emergencies